empty is zero

Scott Morrow scott at elementarysoftware.com
Thu Jul 9 16:18:19 EDT 2009

I'm having trouble with a script where an empty parameter is evaluated
as being zero.  I've only been using rev 3.5 a short while so maybe
I've missed a setting or new feature?
In the message box all works as expected:

    put empty into tVariable
    put charToNum(tVariable) --> (empty)
    put isNumber(tVariable) --> false
    put tVariable is zero --> false

but in my script, when the parameter is empty I get:

on tHandler tParam -- where tParam is empty
    put charToNum(tParam) --> (empty)
    put isNumber(tParam) --> false
    put tParam is zero --> true
end tHandler

if I explicitly  < put empty into tParam >   inside the script then
all works as expected

I've not had a lot of sleep but hoped coffee and a maple bar might
compensate.

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)