Redirect strategies for coping with IE7

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 30 20:08:15 EST 2009

I have some content which I want protected against most visitors to my
site, but some I want to grant access.

htaccess would seem the logical route, but I also want to provide a
zero-login option for those people I want to grant access.

For the non-Microsoft world I could provide a URL with the htaccess
login and password embedded:

   http://user:pass@domain.com/content/

But IE7 doesn't allow URLs with embedded passwords. :(

I've tried a CGI that does its own authentication and then redirects,
but even redirecting to a URL like the one above with an embedded
password is not allowed with IE.

How can I protect that directory and also provide access to the folder
for those I give a login and password to, without requiring them to
manually log in each time?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World