Call for comments: Rev as a Second Language

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Tue Jan 27 12:27:35 EST 2009

On 27 Jan 2009, at 16:09, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> 6.  Lack of support, explain that RunRev will most likely do
>> nothing to help you figure out the above problems and you are
>> pretty much at the mercy of a voluntary mailing list.
>
> Runtime provides free "up and running" tech support. For more in-
> depth support, they offer a support package of 10 incidents, or you
> can purchase support incidents one at a time. There are far too
> many customers to provide free support for every scripting issue
> that individuals may encounter. Most people are relieved to find
> that there is such a wealth of free information on this list, so I
> always suggest this and the forums as alternate venues.
>
> Did you purchase a support package?

No, and if they can't spare 15 minutes to just *look* at a problem
after spending at least £1000 on "consultancy" then its really not
worth a light! I was told that it would cost me another £1000 just to
LOOK at the problem to which I said - well I won't repeat it, but I
think you can guess!

In the context of this thread, comparing it to other environments,
the lack of support should be pointed out, since this is a big factor
when starting to use a new environment. The RunRev "support" model is
different from any of the other development environments I have used,
and therefore pertinent to anyone starting out using RunRev.

There should be a big banner plastered across the top of it saying
"NO GUARANTEED SUPPORT FOR THIS PRODUCT, SUPPORT IS VIA VOLUNTARY
MAILING LISTS AND FORUMS".

All the Best
Dave