externals

Randall Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Wed Jan 21 22:22:44 EST 2009

Eggplants is a screen telepresence program that works by sending a series of screen shots and mouse location and mouse button states from one computer to a monitoring computer.   It knows nothing of the internal logic of the focus system other the software being run on that system.  It is used by human factors people to remotely track and test user experience. But you are right in that macro software uses some of the same blind techniques to record user input in the absence of actual tracking data.  Specifically, on the mac, if an app is not applescript compliant, and can not report which button a user has cliced on and which set of functions were thus innitiated, these macro automators simply record the religilous location of the mouse at the moment of a click event.  So long as that app doesnt move its buttons around, the blind click will innitiated the same responces every time the macro is run.