any way to detect condition "connected to ISP but not internet"?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jan 20 18:29:19 EST 2009

Brian Yennie wrote:
> This is by no means foolproof, and just based on my own anecdotal
> connection issues, but you might consider checking your computer's
> local IP address. If it is in one of the "self-assigned" ranges, often
> that means you are connected to your router, but not to the larger
> network. Of course there are many situations where this might fail,
> but it is one common level of problems. I believe two common tip-offs
> are addresses 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and 169.xxx.xxx.xxx.
>
> If you need a general solution, there are probably many layers to
> account for, but you can at least try to detect the most common ones.
Not a reliable indicator. At least for home DSL or cable use, the most
common case is that the local computers will be assigned addresses in
the 192... range - routers which have only a single IP address allocated
by the ISP usually allocate from the 192... range via DHCP.

-- Alex, aka 192.168.1.1.100 for the moment.