[OT] spam and sendmail configuration

viktoras d. viktoras at ekoinf.net
Sun Jan 11 16:56:46 EST 2009

Sorry, this is quite OT, just I am desperately seeking an advice. Could
anyone please suggest a good resource on sendmail access file
configuration with exhaustive samples on fighting spammers (I googled,
found something, still looking for the "best" one). A few days ago I
started receiving lots of  spam with forged FROM address as if it was
sent from my own domain, which I think should be impossible because my
sendmail is configured to NOT relay anything, and I am using ISP's
mailing server to send my mails which is secure, password protected, and
so on... Tested my domain with
http://verify.abuse.net/cgi-bin/relaytest, it says all tests performed,
no relays accepted. Still I was receiving spam from "myself" and other
"domain users" each time with different name... Yesterday configured
sendmail's access list to reject any of those "alien names", and they
stopped appearing in my inbox, but today I received twice as much spam
from other sources and also from "myself". So, I would appreciate any
good advice on how to best deal with this problem at the mail server (on
Linux) level.

Is it possible to define more complex rules in the sendmail's access
file ? I know about blackhole service, just looking for other options.

Best wishes
Viktoras