Do I use encrypt?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Mon Feb 23 18:00:01 EST 2009

Hi Dan,

Here is what you do: You create a CGI script in either Rev (if your server
supports Rev CGI) or PHP on your server. The CGI script should accept
params. Your Rev app address the CGI script with a post such as:

Post "<some data and params>" to url
"http://123.45.6.78/cgi-bin/<YourCGIScript.cgi>"  (assuming this is where
your cgi-bin and CGI script is located.

The CGI script takes the data and "knows" the passwords to your server's
encrypted areas but this is all handled on the sever side. As to the data
itself, you can encrypt it and pass the encrypted data up to the sever and
CGI script can decrypt and write to the server directory and files.

In the same fashion, you can pass encrypted data (and files and stacks) down
to your application without ever sending passwords or user names over the
Internet or even any clear text data in either direction.

The beauty about using this method to download information is that it will
go directly to your application and never even get written to the local hard
drives. If the information is in stacks, you can go to the stacks, which can
be locked, in memory.

So even a sniffer run locally doesn't help a hacker. :-)

Have fun!

Jim Bufalini