Changing the screenRect within a stack

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Sun Feb 22 20:50:00 EST 2009

Mark,

Yes you are right about the kiosk - a bad example. In any case, my
point was more that we don't know the particulars of the application
in question. I share your distaste for badly behaved software, but
surely there are some cases where it's ok for software to change your
screen resolution without forcing you to go do it yourself. Video
players do this all the time in order to *improve* the viewing. Yes,
it can mess up your geometry if you changed to a "stretched"
resolution, but it's also often desirable to have a 800x600 video play
at it's native resolution instead of say, framing it on top of a
1600x1200 desktop. There can always be a pref in the software for this
-- but I wouldn't put up with a video player that couldn't go full
screen without directing me to go change system settings myself.

If this is just a case of an interface design flaw and not some
special app requirement, then I agree -- design around it without
messing with the person's screen.