AW: Problems deleting folders on Vista - error #?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Fri Feb 13 23:19:06 EST 2009

Dear Jacqueline,

> This is my main question because we have one customer who is having
> some
> unusual trouble. He uses Vista. The app was not able to create a folder
> in his Documents folder. I don't know why, since it has been working
> for
> other customers, but I wondered if it was a permissions issue.
>
> If an app is running as administrator, and the user always has rights
> their own Documents folder, I thought the app could create folders
> inside Documents without any trouble. But in this one case, it failed.

Not sure. What I can tell you is that, under XP, the user's documents are
located in:

C:/Documents and Settings/<user name>/My Documents/

And in Vista it's:

C:/Users/<user name>/Documents/

But if you use specialFolderPath(5) it compensates for this difference. And
I have an app that creates and deletes directories and files on XP and Vista
under specialFolderPaths 26, 28 and 35 and it doesn't run as Administrator
to do this and there is no need to change the UAC of the directories or your
app. The safest place to put user's data is under specialFolderPath(35)
which is the C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/ in XP and
C:/ProgramData/ folder in Vista and this never fails on either and doesn't
require any changing of rights.

Jim