Addressing Hardware - particularly usb port

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 07:03:15 EST 2009

Thanks everyone!  Its Linux, the OS that is being used.

Sarah's article is interesting, but my problem is that the device is USB.
So a serial to USB adaptor won't do it - it will allow use of a serial
device on a usb port.  If anything what I'd need would go the other way -
allow use of a usb device on a serial port.

One other suggestion is to make one of the usb ports into a virtual serial
port.  Yes, maybe.  Again, not something I've ever gone near, but will
probably try it before this is over!  Apparently you can map them...