Odd-shaped buttons . . .

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Wed Feb 4 16:29:07 EST 2009

On Wed Feb 4, 2009, Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> "Just draw the shape you want with it."
>
> Um, I've never been a great fan of the graphic tools contained within
> Runtime Revolution.

It is really not too difficult to use the polygon tool to place
irregular graphics on maps or images. See my vintage stack from 2004

<http://www.sanke.org/Software/ImageAndWords.zip>

produced for the most parts by students in a Metacard-workshop.

>  However, Button Basher
> relies on EXPORT SNAPSHOT which has two disadvantages:
>
> 1. A snapshot is always rectangular.
>
> 2. It never contains transparent areas.

Richmond, this simply is not the case. There are possibilities to
produce snapshots with transparent areas. Several members of this list
have shown that. See also the relevant examples in stack

<http://www.sanke.org/Software/MoreAboutMasksRev3.zip> and
<http://www.sanke.org/Software/SnapshotTestStack.zip>

> Now I am well aware I can set up scaleable circles, ellipses
> and so on: but the main problem is how to combine those with
> button texts (that are also adjustable) and then export the end-result
> as a GIF or PNG image.

As I see, Bernd Niggemann is presently cooperating with you in improving
"Button Basher". He can show how you can integrate masked images (such
with transparent areas) into Button Basher that are scalable in the same
way as the images you use at present.

Recently I have added the feature to produce *beveled* and *framed*
(roundrects and ovals) images that you could use in your stack and
elsewhere, but I have not yet put together a sample stack for that.

Best regards and support for your work,

Wilhelm Sanke

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>