Data Grid deployment question

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Dec 17 15:08:05 EST 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Josh Mellicker wrote:

> Here's our situation:
>
> We have a product that uses a "splash" standalone that checks our
> server for updates in the secondary stack (the secondary stack is
> actually the real app) and downloads the updated secondary stack if
> it's newer.
>
> We just, for the first time, put a data grid in the secondary stack.
>
> So the question is, how do we deploy the "revdatagridlibrary.rev"
> library in this situation? Do we just make "revdatagridlibrary.rev"
> a substack of the secondary stack, and put a "start using" in the
> preOpenStack of the secondary stack? I thought I should ask before
> we started experimenting.

I would either

a) Bundle the library with the splash stack using the directions in
this lesson:

<http://lessons.runrev.com/spaces/lessons/manuals/datagrid/lessons/7339-What-Do-I-Need-to-Do-To-Deploy-a-Standalone-With-A-Data-Grid-

or

b) Include the revDataGridLibrary.rev stack as a stack file in your
application distribution. You need load this stack in memory before
ANY of your application stacks open up or the behavior property of the
Data Grid's won't resolve properly.

You could potentially include the stack as a substack to your stack
but Rev would complain when you opened the stack in the IDE and had
two versions of revDataGridLibrary in memory.

> (Obviously we don't want to make thousands of users re-download a
> standalone.)

You might want to consider updating the executable when you auto-
update though. The reason is that the executable has the version,
created on and modified on information. If you don't update the exe
(on Windows at least, you could meddle with the info.plist file on
Mac) then people using Windows Explorer to see which version of your
app they have will see the wrong information.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems