OT OS X HD Partitioning, multiple OSs

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Fri Dec 11 10:56:20 EST 2009

On 12/05/2009 02:42 PM, Bill Marriott wrote:
> Roger,
>
>> Also, you won't have to keep converting your hd file between Parallels
and
>> Fusion. They will both comfortably use the same BootCamp partition (not
at
>> the same time of course).
>
> This led to great unhappiness last time I tried it, and constant
> re-activation of Windows, as well.
>
> - Bill

Hey, I just tried this and Windows did not have to re-activate, but there
is still some minor unhappiness which is easily overcome. I can boot
natively and the Apple hardware drivers work in BootCamp, so the machine
runs extremely fast. Then I boot OS X and run Parallels. Everything is
still fine. I shutdown Windows and run VMware Fusion and everything is
still fine. BUT IF I GO BACK TO PARALLELS AFTER FUSION, the Parallels
config files have been corrupted. The easy fix though is to go to the file
menu and choose Remove. Allow it to delete EVERYTHING. Then it walks you
through a fresh setup wizard and you choose BootCamp again. Parallels then
works as expected.

In summary, they can coexist, but VMware Fusion throws a few punches below
the belt (me thinks).

Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>