Scaling Groups?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Dec 11 00:00:53 EST 2009

Thanks to all who replied about my scaling groups question.
As it turns out, I was able to come up with a solution in about a tenth of
the time
I thought it would take (and I was dreading it).

The biggest issue for me is Rev¹s reliance on integers for object
positioning --
this is a serious limitation when it comes to scaling because object
dimensions can get heavily distorted when the objects are repeatedly scaled.
I needed a way to keep object dimensions from getting too messed up if the
user wants
to size a group up and down repeatedly.  The only way I know how to do this
is to store the original dimensions and refer to those whenever an object is
scaled.
The following code does this, called from a scrollbar whose start/end values
are 50 and 200 (equates to 50% and 200%).  Objects are initialized with
their
³starting² specs, and since those specs are always used in the code, scaling
is as
distortion-free as possible:

on scrollbarDrag pValue
   scaleGroup long id of grp ³my great group²,pValue
end scrollbarDrag

on scaleGroup pGroup,pValue
   initObjSpecs pGroup
   put pValue/100 into tPercent
   put loc of pGroup into masterLoc
   lock screen
   set width of pGroup to the uDefaultWidth of pGroup * tPercent
   set height of pGroup to the uDefaultHeight of pGroup * tPercent
   set loc of pGroup to masterLoc
   repeat with N = 1 to number of controls of pGroup
      put long id of control N of pGroup into tObj
      set width of tObj to (item 1 of the uOrigDimensions of tObj *
tPercent)
      set height of tObj to (item 2 of the uOrigDimensions of tObj *
tPercent)
      put item 1 of masterLoc - (item 1 of the uOrigOffset of tObj *
tPercent) into X
      put item 2 of masterLoc - (item 2 of the uOrigOffset of tObj *
tPercent) into Y
      set loc of tObj to X,Y
   end repeat
   set loc of pGroup to masterLoc
   unlock screen
end scaleGroup

on initObjSpecs pGroup
   put loc of pGroup into masterLoc
   if the uDefaultWidth of pGroup = "" then set the uDefaultWidth of pGroup
to width of pGroup
   if the uDefaultHeight of pGroup = "" then set the uDefaultHeight of
pGroup to height of pGroup
   put the number of controls of pGroup into objCount
   repeat with N = 1 to objCount
      put long id of control N of pGroup into tObj
      if the uOrigOffset of tObj <> "" and the uOrigDimensions of tObj <> ""
then next repeat
      put loc of tObj into objLoc
      set the uOrigOffset of tObj to item 1 of masterLoc - item 1 of
objLoc,item 2 of masterLoc - item 2 of objLoc
      set the uOrigDimensions of tObj to width of tObj,height of tObj
   end repeat
end initObjSpecs

Maybe other folks will find this useful.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design