Rep : revlet and path

Jean-Paul Poccard jp.poccard at neuf.fr
Wed Aug 19 09:26:50 EDT 2009

Tereza snyder wrote on august 06 :

> "I routinely store application resources in a folder, 'resources',
> next to my apps that contain all kinds of stuff. I compute paths at
> startup depending on the effective filename.  Do I have to change my
> architecture ?"

My problem is te same, and as I a not among the happy few who use
Enterprise, I cannot yet test but I wonder wether the url of the app on
the net can be found from inside the revlet.
I tried to find the url on mac with Safari, and I suppose all browsers
store the files they download according to the same rules.

The file stored by the  browser contains the url whic it has been
downloaded from.  With this URL it should be possible to find the nime
of the folder containing the file and then build the urls of the
"resources".

The first line of the files can be read from the message box with this
little handler :

  answer file "choose a file"
   put it into tfile
   open file tfile for binary read
   read from file tfile at 1 until cr
   answer it
   close file tfile

 From the files I looked at, it seems that :

--> When the ascii code of char 14  is 94 (decimal) then " Full Page
TextName" appears among the 34  first characters, and the ascii code of
the thirty fith character gives the length of the url. The url begins at
the thirty-sixth character.

--> When  the ascii code of char 14 is  95 (decimal)  then the ascii
code of the fifteenth  character gives the length of the url and the url
begins at the sixteenth character.

This does not allow to write a neat and handsome handler, and it is
surely too simple.  I don't know what happens if the url is very long.
Any help will be appreciated.
Do anyone know exactly how the header of the file is built , especially
when it is a revlet ?
Can I hope to fetch my own "resources" on the server when I will put on
it my app and its quicktime movies ?

Cordialement

Jean-Paul Poccard.