PPC says 'BOO' to Snow Leopard . . .

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 12:42:37 EDT 2009

Yes, you guessed it, it's the latter-day Intel-Luddite

[or, Richmond making a virtue out of being unable to buy
an Intel Mac . . .  :)  ]

Seriously, if, like me, you are blessed with one or three
PPC Macintosh PCs and, for whatever reason (!!!!!!) you
are likely to be using them a bit yet, and wondering
about the hype about Mac OS 10.6 being a "leaner,
slimmer, meaner" OS, while being well aware that,
as far as Mac-native OS s go (well, you could run
Ubuntu PPC - although I wonder what could possibly
be the advantage) the line, for you, stops at 10.5. X.

Well, for quite a few years I have been making my
machine somewhat "leaner, slimmer and meaner"
by using 'Monolingual' to remove Classic, ARM, Intel
and other unnecessary code from apps:

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

it removes all those hundreds of languages you
don't read, speak or have a desperate urge to learn,
trimming the 'fat' quite considerably.

For the sake of argument, my sister is reasonable
in speaking Amharic (she cannot read it) - mainly because
her work has taken her to Ethiopia many times, I am not;
having Amharic on my system just adds to the 'junk'
that has to beloaded in and out of RAM, as well as
hogging my hard-drives, everytime I use a program
containing Amharic language files.

This:  http://www.index-site.com/Macosxspeed.html

Applejack:  http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

gets you out of some sticky patches.

http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Diablotin.html

Lets you see what is eating up all your RAM,
and turn things off.

And on that happy note all I can say is how much I
am looking forwards to getting my BBC Micro from
the attic in St Andrews after the conference!