Cross Platform Fonts

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Tue Aug 11 16:14:30 EDT 2009

Two words, Ray: White Space!

Well-placed white space can improve the user's grasp of on-screen
information while also letting your fields to be bigger than they might
otherwise need to be, to allow for slight metric differences between
similar fonts (or the same font on different platforms).

Other issues can also come into play, like the slightly different origin
points of text in a field (distance from topLeft of field to baseline of
first char of text) on different platforms.

If you need absolute consistency or control, it's really not cheating if
you decide to use screenshots of text for your labeling of things. I've
built entire applications on that premise.

My apologies for not exactly answering your question, but maybe this
will help.

Phil Davis

--
Phil Davis