Digging Huge Files

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Aug 5 15:21:14 EDT 2009

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Sivakatirswami-
>
> Well, your tCompleted also remains constant - it's just the ratio of
> download locations that changes. Which makes sense, since what you're
> displaying is
>
> line 1: tRevHits
> line 2: tCompleted - tRevHits
>
> Also, are you really saying put ("1"&quote&"200 ") into tCompleteCode?
> Shouldn't that be put ("1"&quote&&"200") into tCompleteCode?
> >From your output it looks like you're trying to trap the (1.1" 200)
> string, which has a space *before* the 200. Same thing for the 206.
>
> You don't say where the mouseUp handler is located, but since you're
> not initializing your variables to zero before running, could there be
> some leftover garbage in there from the previous run?

Mark. Thanks for the pointers. It works now, but I have to wonder as
there is some serious gremlin hiding here:

1) I thought local variables are always initialized to empty after each
run of  script.
Is there something I'm missing there?

global tStart
local tPartials,tRevHits,tCompleted # these were acting as globals?

2) OK we know that

 if x contains "Hinduism-Today_Jul-Aug-Sep_2009.pdf" then
            put x & cr after tFoundLInes
        end if

works, consistently thru each run because it returns 4405 GET requests for the PDF on each run of the script.

*BUT*

if the string

1"&quote&&"200"

does not even exist in those 4405 found lines how is any number returned at all?

  if x contains "Hinduism-Today_Jul-Aug-Sep_2009.pdf" then
         put x into z
         if z contains "Revolution" then add 1 to tRevHits
         put  ("1.1"&quote&"200 ") into tCompleteCode
         put  ("1.1"&quote&"206 ") into tPartialCode
         if z contains tCompleteCode then add 1 to tCompleted # should not increment
         if z contains tPartialCode then add 1 to tPartials # should not increment
         put empty into z
         put x & cr after tFoundLInes
      end if

but we get:

Complete Downloads via HT site: 1488 # should be 0
Partial Downloads 206's (mostly failures, some successes): 6801 # should be 0

3) I took your suggestions initialized the vars and fixed the string.

on mouseUp
   put 0 into tPartials
   put 0 into tRevHits
   put 0 into tCompleted

 if x contains "Hinduism-Today_Jul-Aug-Sep_2009.pdf" then
         put x into z
         if z contains "Revolution" then add 1 to tRevHits
         put  ("1.1"&quote&" 200 ") into tCompleteCode
         put  ("1.1"&quote&" 206 ") into tPartialCode
         if z contains tCompleteCode then add 1 to tCompleted
         if z contains tPartialCode then add 1 to tPartials
         put empty into z
         put x & cr after tFoundLInes
      end if

and now I get consistent, on each run:

Complete Downloads via HT site: 840
Partial Downloads 206's (mostly failures, some successes): 2877

numbers verified in BBEDit with Search and Replace on those strings...

 But still leave Questions 1 and 2 unanswer: why are local vars carrying values across sessions and how is a string that doesn't exist in the text being found at all?

I'm not sure I'll be able to answer either of those questions, but it's a lesson in good practice on initializing varibles, even locals.

Thanks for the help... Now we can dig the  logs.

Sivakatirswami