[OT] where all the databases go...

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 09:42:41 EDT 2009

My guess would be that they plan to keep MySQL from gaining even more
features that might persuade someone to use MySQL instead of Oracle.
Buying up the storage engines for MySQL was probably an earlier
attempt at preventing companies from choosing MySQL (at the very
least, by promoting F.U. & D.)  MySQL responded by developing the
Falcon engine (using the knowledge of Jim Starkey, who created the
InterBase/Firebird line of databases dating back to the early 1980s).

Maybe Oracle did actually want some of Sun's other technologies.  Or
maybe they just wanted to make sure no-one else got MySQL.

Since Firebird and PostgreSQL have gone from strength to strength,
there are still free and open source options.  Firebird and PostgreSQL
have always had more liberal licensing than MySQL, and cannot be
bought and sold the way MySQL has been.

Bernard