referenced images vs. images?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 01:48:43 EDT 2009

> I have a stack with a lot of images, about 500 megs worth. Opening  and
> saving the standalone is very slow, so I redid the entire stack and imported
> the same images as referenced images from a separate folder instead of
> simply importing them into the stack. I thought that the stack size would
> drop from 550 megs to 50 megs by having referenced images outside of the
> stack, but it doesn't - it stays the same size and is just as slow. Also,
> when saving the standalone, there seems to be no way to include the folder
> that contains the referenced images, and in the standalone there is just a
> grey rectangle where the images are supposed to be, obviously because the
> wasn't included in the standalone.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Have I misunderstood the concept of referenced images
> completely? I found no answers in the Rev docs and am a little bit
> frustrated!

If the size of your standalone hasn't changed, it appears that the
images are still stored as part of the stack.
You will need to clear them all out before building - put empty into
img "MyImage" will work I think.
Then your standalone needs to know where to find the images relative
to your standalone.

Are you building for Mac, Windows, Linux or all of the above?

In Windows, you can install the images folder in the same folder as
your app so you can do:
     set the filename of image "Image1" to "Images/image1.jpg"

In Mac, the standalone is actually buried inside an application
bundle, which is a folder in disguise.
Get into it by right-clicking on the app and choosing "Show Package Contents".
Drill down in to the folders and you will find your standalone.
Your app needs to look for the images folder relative to this
location. The easiest is probably put the images folder inside the
bundle, so it is hidden from the casual user. If you put it in the
MacOS folder with your standalone, you can use the same references as
for the Windows version.

For Linux, I have no idea but I'm sure someone else will be able to
help if that's what you need.

Cheers,
Sarah