Stack Overflow : a new site for programming Q&A.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 23 12:08:28 EDT 2008

Paul Looney wrote:
> My first thought, years ago, was "revTalk" also.
> But  "talks" are not preceived as "real" languages - remember when
> Apple went through all those contortions to use "scripting" instead
> of "coding". Dropping "talk" helps Rev transcend its heritage and
> paradigm - will result in more sales, too.

I agree it's a tough balancing act.  As Jacque's noted many times, the
ease of HyperTalk made it possible to produce a lot of amateurish wares,
which tainted the "talk" suffix.  When Rev was starting out more than a
decade ago, I was also firmly against anything with "talk" in it.

But a lot of time has passed since Apple killed HC, and today more
people use SmallTalk than HyperTalk.

Mikey's point about managing expectations is an important one, IMO. Rev
ain't your father's scripting language.

We're in a Golden Age of sorts for scripting, with the near-ubiquity of
JavaScript thanks to it being the only programming language available in
browsers.  I'd venture to guess that there are several orders of
magnitude more folks versant in JavaScript today than the sum of all
xTalkers ever.

So while scripting has been validated by JavaScript and other languages,
Rev is very different from all of them, enough that I believe it helps
manage expectations by drawing attention to that difference, even at the
risk of a relative few who remember HyperTalk unfavorably.

These days most folks don't remember HyperTalk at all, and many who do
have positive memories of it.  For them the only downside to HyperTalk
is that it reminds them of Apple's most short-sighted moment.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal