Unicode issues ad infinitum

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Sep 16 00:27:42 EDT 2008

rand valentine wrote:
>  If I set a field to the Unicode
> syllabics font on my Mac, everything works fine, I get the syllabics
> rendering properly. I also find that I do not have problems with versions of
> XP I'm running in VMware Fusion on my Macs. But several Windows XP users
> report to me that they just get "square boxes" instead of syllabics. So my
> guess is that Windows Revolution can't detect a font as a Unicode font if it
> has Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics (but not say, Chinese or Japanese), so it
> substitutes another Unicode font, which has no syllabics.

I think Rev recognizes the unicode okay but the assigned font is missing
on Windows so users are getting substitutions. You'll need to use an
equivalent font on that OS. If there isn't one native to a Windows
installation you may need to look into using RevFont to install one.

I'm not sure why it works in emulation on your Mac (I don't use VMware,)
but it may be that VMware shares your Mac fonts, though that's just a guess.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com