Raising admin rights on Vista

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Mon Sep 1 08:52:08 EDT 2008

Bonjour Trevor (and Matthias too :-)

Thanks for having given me hints.
Actually, my problem is a bit more complicated:
I have a Rev exe that is running.
It would download an installer stack from the internet.
Without closing the running exe, I would want to run it as admin on-
the-fly :-)
Then install files in program files (i.e. replace some separate
stacks) and finally restore usual rights...
Last step could be skipped ;-)

Why do I want to do this is just would allow me to build my own
installer instead of downloading a 'regular' installer that would do
the job without problem.

Le 1 sept. 08 à 14:30, Trevor DeVore a écrit :

> On Sep 1, 2008, at 6:42 AM, Eric Chatonet wrote:
>
>> 2. Is there a way to raise privileges directly using a shell
>> command or something else on Vista? *
>> Because this way of doing (as does any installer) would be by far
>> preferable...
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> You can tell an exe to request admin privileges by altering the
> manifest file in the exe. I have some instructions for doing this
> here:
>
> <http://revolution.screenstepslive.com/lessons/567-Adding-a-Windows-
> Vista-Manifest-To-a-Revolution-Executable>
>
> You can also use a VBScript to request that something be run with
> admin privileges. I have some code where I put the following in a
> vbs file and run it. In my case I am running another vbs file. The
> key param is "runas". You might also be able to launch another exe
> this way. The contents of the vbs file is:
>
> CreateObject("Shell.Application").ShellExecute "wscript.exe", "C:
> \Path\To\File.vbs", "", "runas", 1
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore