OT: Using Windows Flag Logo

Ben Rubinstein benr at cogapp.com
Thu Oct 30 15:43:55 EDT 2008

Richmond Mathewson wrote:
> I suppose that MicroSquash and Co. will only jump on you if you use their precious logo to detract from them. How using their logo to show that your standalone will run on their operating system should worry them, I just don't know.
>
> There's nothing like a bit of commonsense, rather than fiddle-faddling.

I totally agree with you in principle (and I'm sure you're right in relation
to your own case).  However, Microsoft - in principle -will not take the
attitude you describe (should it happen to come to their attention, which is
in practise unlikely of course).

There are two reasons: firstly, MS copyright their logos and have various
programs which developers need to comply with in order to be able to use them
- some of this is not unreasonable, as they want to ensure that something
which says it eg "works with Vista" actually does so.

Secondly, lawyers will tell you that if you don't go chasing after even petty
infringements of your trademarks, your chances of defending them when you do
care about it will be impaired.  This is why you get crazy cases of heavy
lawyers being wheeled out against kindergarten kids who paint a mural of
Mickey Mouse on their playground wall, for example.  The justification is that
Disney etc can't be seen to ignore even petty infringements, otherwise they
will be deeemed to have not defended their rights.

- Ben  (who is sitting late in the office, trying to write some legal nonsense
for a project he is on and wishing he was at home doing something more useful
or entertaining)