New Gradient Pane

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu Oct 30 13:42:00 EDT 2008

Yes, I love the gradient feature. If you haven't yet -- check out the
fillGradient property. It's a style property and uses the 3.0 multi
layer property structure. It's actually a property set, with lists of
lists inside.

One can actually set most of the gradient parameters of a graphic object by
set the fillGradient of graphic B to the fillgradient of graphic A

I can imagine someone will be making a tool to get further into
control of this object.
For instance the the only way to 'get at' the list of gradient
"stops" is by script:

fillGradient["ramp"]
	A return delimited list of gradient  stops (see below) that
define the layout of the of the gradient.
A gradient stop is a comma is a comma delimited list of numbers that
specify the following values:
position			- number between 0 and 1
red, green, blue 		- numbers between 0 and 255
alpha			- number between 0 (transparent) and 255
(opaque), if omitted it is assumed to be 255.

A simple iTunes-like ramp would be described like this:
0.01389,195,200,174
0.98610,252,253,230

there's a lot of "stuff" in here!   As it turns out, the built-in
gradients open up new avenues of gui and gauge design.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o