AW: difference between closing with the red cross or sending close

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at cox.net
Tue Oct 14 16:53:12 EDT 2008

Hi Mark,

If I hadn't diddled with things some more it probably would have
worked as you thought. I had already partially implemented a somewhat
similar handler and in copy/pasting may have not had things strictly
as they should be. The most confusing thing about closing/quiting in
OSX is the elimination of the Quit item from the file menu and its
transfer to the Application menu; plus the use of the red dot close
"button". I had been using a handler in the Stack Script to the effect:

on shutdownRequest -- confirm with the user:
    answer question "Save changes before quitting?" with "Yes" or "No"
    if it is "No" then pass shutdownRequest -- allow to quit
    else
       save this stack
       pass shutdownRequest
    end if
end shutdownRequest

plus a menuPick item :

  case "Close"
          answer "Save changes before closing?" with "No" or "Yes"
          if it is "Yes" then
             save this stack
          end if
          close this stack
       break

This seems to work most of the time, though occasionally, I won't get
a dialog for saving before closing. If I had more hair, I'd probably
continue trying to figure this out. For now, I'm just saving all the
time. But thanks...

Joe Wilkins