OT: new macbooks, no firewire

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Tue Oct 14 15:33:51 EDT 2008

Folks,

sometimes I do OT mails here, but this is just to ask if you guys
followed the latest announcements by apple and saw their new macbooks.
I must say, I have never ever been so disapointed at apple. I found
the new macbooks as ugly as a traffic accident between an elephant and
a pizza delivery car. What's with the black borders and keyboards on
aluminum?!?! what happened, did they fired their designers?

Also they just dropped firewire on macbooks, so all of us who use
external firewire disks can't upgrade. I have three external firewire
drives and two MiniDV cameras which I'll not be able to use with the
new macbook because apple in it's infinite wisdom decided that black
borders were cool and firewire were useless... heck, who'd transfer
video using USB!!!!

The only thing keeping me on Apple camp is Mac OS X and the gorgeous
sharewares available for macs... I am slowly switching to linux, at
least I won't pay 1300 USD for a laptop that I find defective by
design.

Sorry for the rant folks, I realize this is not my usual mail. By the
way, Revolution 3.0 runs on Linux Mint with no problem (it chokes on
some themes, but my eyes do the same and my doctor says my eyes are
fine)...

Andre
PS: The only laptop I like these days is my OLPC XO...