iPhone again

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Oct 13 11:14:20 EDT 2008

> > Apple reps have strongly emphasized that implementing a pure web
> > solution is the least trouble. It makes a lot of sense to me to go
> > this route unless there's some major performance issue,
> like creating
> > a game that requires some sort of local acceleration.
> >

> Lynn,
>
> iPhone web apps can't access goodies such as location api or
> file uploads or file access or camera....

Sure, that's right. There's a wealth of APIs that come with the iPhone SDK.
But then it comes down to what kind of app you want to write. Plus - and a
big one - Flash isnt there (yet).

My feeling is that there are a few strong reasons why Apple has pushed web
apps. The first is - they cant really exert any control over how web apps
are developed, so there is nothing for them to "protect". Its like saying
"please feel free to breath while visiting us". Another is, its an argument
that you can implement a wide variety of applications without using their
SDK, which is a point in their favor if someone were to sue Apple because of
illegal monopolistic or anti-competitive practices.

One of the things Ive learned in working with Apple is that, every
consideration comes at a cost, no matter what that consideration is -
because someone (or lots of someones) inside of Apple will mull over every
point of a deal, starting with if its even worth having the conversation.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software