Why I didn't, and why I may, later.

Judy Perry katheryn.swynford at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 17:49:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Richmond Mathewson <geradamas at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Judy Perry wrote:
>
> "It's not as if Apple didn't give didn't give people HOW many years
> warning that PPC compatibility was going to be phased out!"
>
> 1.  Not that long really.

--3 years, actually.  Seems long enough for me.

> 2.  Apple did not tell PPC users they would be left with an OS that
>    still contained all sorts of glitches and a rather messy, inconsistent
>    GUI.

--What on earth are you talking about?  People were warned they had a
couple of years to transition from OS 9 to OS X, then also to
transition from PPC to Intel-based if they wanted to be current.

> I am absolutely sure that Apple could, should they so wish, belt out a PPC version of 10.6 that was as light for PPCs as they claim Snow Leopard will be for INTEL Macs.  But they won't because they want people to dump their PPCs and buy INTEL machines.  This is, of course, based on the supposition that every Mac user has the money and the inclination to buy a new Mac every 2 years.

--Or, maybe, as is (I've heard) the case with Revolution, they have
difficulty finding current compilers for PPC chips (and as Rev has had
with respect to OS 9).

--Exactly which major software development firms are still shipping
PPC-native and *current* apps?

> With an INTEL Mac, I haven't, and I probably won't, prefering either to buy a relatively cheap PC (or bash one together out of bits and pieces) and run either a Linux distro or (Heaven forfend) "Hackintosh"; especially after reading recently about smelly machines. However, fingers crossed, step on my toe, etc. my collection of PPC Macs are all doing sterling service right now; come to think of it my macMini PPC is only 3 years old!

--Wonderful!  I have an 8-y.o. dual G4 tower, a G4 Cube and a
second-gen iMac (egg-shaped).  I don't expect them to run Snow
Leopard; in fact, one of them is strictly and deliberately OS 9.
There's no shame in running an older OS on older machines.

> I have downloaded RunRev 3 and am currently "playing" with it; I certainly would rather buy RR 3 than buy a new Mac as:
>
> a. it functions perfectly adequately on my G3 iMac.
>
> b. it can produce software for several Operating Systems (but not RISC !!!).
>
> c. £ for £ it gives, me at least, more bang for your buck than a new computer.

--Well, and of course, people in hell probably "certainly would
rather" have ice water than flames, but you get what you get.

Judy