Why I didn't, and why I may, later.

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 12:42:52 EDT 2008

Judy Perry wrote:

"It's not as if Apple didn't give didn't give people HOW many years
warning that PPC compatibility was going to be phased out!"

1.  Not that long really.

2.  Apple did not tell PPC users they would be left with an OS that
    still contained all sorts of glitches and a rather messy, inconsistent
    GUI.

I am absolutely sure that Apple could, should they so wish, belt out a PPC version of 10.6 that was as light for PPCs as they claim Snow Leopard will be for INTEL Macs.  But they won't because they want people to dump their PPCs and buy INTEL machines.  This is, of course, based on the supposition that every Mac user has the money and the inclination to buy a new Mac every 2 years.

With an INTEL Mac, I haven't, and I probably won't, prefering either to buy a relatively cheap PC (or bash one together out of bits and pieces) and run either a Linux distro or (Heaven forfend) "Hackintosh"; especially after reading recently about smelly machines. However, fingers crossed, step on my toe, etc. my collection of PPC Macs are all doing sterling service right now; come to think of it my macMini PPC is only 3 years old!

I have downloaded RunRev 3 and am currently "playing" with it; I certainly would rather buy RR 3 than buy a new Mac as:

a. it functions perfectly adequately on my G3 iMac.

b. it can produce software for several Operating Systems (but not RISC !!!).

c. £ for £ it gives, me at least, more bang for your buck than a new computer.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.