strange char translation from intel to ppc

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 18:04:12 EDT 2008

I have a stack where I use some non-printable ascii chars as delimiters
(specifically, ascii 30 and 29).  This stack worked fine on the Windows and
Linux versions of 3.0 (well, until they crashed or went berserk, but
everyone's tired of that story).  However, when I moved the stack over to OS
X (ppc), the application stopped working.  Upon investigation it turned out
that the delimiters had swapped - they were now ascii 222 and 218.

Is that to be expected?  Nothing else in the stacks seems amiss, and I'm
puzzled by this.  I had seen some strange behaviour copying them between
platforms.  When copied by scp, the stacks were "corrupted", but copied fine
by ftp binary. When copied by ftp as ascii, opening them crashed Rev 3.0 on
OS X.

It's not a big deal, but I suppose it might be a gotcha worth noting for
anyone else who uses non-printable ascii chars as delimiters.

Bernard