USB barcode scanner?

Colin Holgate coiin at rcn.com
Sat Nov 29 11:59:27 EST 2008

On Nov 29, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Tim Ponn wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Can anybody recommend a usb barcode scanner that I can get to work
> with rev?  I using rev 2.81 and a Mac.  I've got my POS app working
> nicely now and it's time for the next step...adding a scanner.

What Stephen said. One other thing to know is that the barcode
scanners can have their behavior modified by scanning barcodes in the
booklet that comes with them. For example, you can have the scanner
send a return after it's finished reading the barcode. That can be
handy for your input routine, so it knows when the scanner has
finished sending.

There is no difference at all between a user typing on a keyboard, and
the scanner sending its keystrokes, so if you have an application
where a user is supposed to type into one field, and a scanner grabs a
barcode without showing the text captured, your user could trigger the
scanner while typing into the visible field, and they will see the
barcode numbers typed in for them. That may not matter, but it could
influence your design, you would want to make sure not to set up
situations where the user can easily be confused.

Another setting for the scanner is the baud rate (they're really
serial, with USB converters). Set that to as high as you can, and even
then the apparent typing speed is not very fast.