Titlebar Bug Workaround Challenge

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Nov 23 01:30:21 EST 2008

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>>> The only way I can see to make the proxy stack the default stack at all
>>> times is to make the real stack a palette, but I wonder if this is going
>>> down too complex path that will be prone to failure.  I was thinking if
>>> there was some way to trap the mouse while in the taskbar I might be able to
>>> make the proxy stack the defaultstack before the iconify message is sent.
>> That sounds like a good work-around. You could make the real stack
>> modeless. Those look and act pretty much like regular windows but they
>> don't show in the taskbar. Your proxy stack's title should show in the
>> taskbar if it's a toplevel stack, and clicking the taskbar should bring
>> the proxy to the front.
>
> But this is the problem.  I don't want to simply bring the proxy to the
> front, I want to iconify it immediately, because using this smoke and
> mirrors setup, the proxy is supposed to represent the real stack, and
> clicking the button in the taskbar should iconify it, not bring it to the
> front.

With the caveat that I haven't actually tried any of this, I was
thinking along these lines:

Your real stack is modeless, the proxy is toplevel. The proxy is
offscreen, the modeless one looks like the real thing. The user clicks
the (fake) minimize button in your fake titlebar. The button script
hides the stack it's in, and sends an iconify message to the proxy. The
proxy gets iconified and is represented in the taskbar.

When the user clicks the taskbar, an uniconify message gets sent to the
proxy. The proxy stack script catches this message and makes the real
stack visible again.

Would that do it?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com