Converting Hypercard Stack -- No Scripts?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Nov 19 21:52:42 EST 2008

Ben Rubinstein wrote:
> Sivakatirswami wrote:
> >
> > I just opened the HC stack in Revolution and viola it appears. But
> I'm getting some strange behaviors that I don't know how to solve.

> > No script editor is invoked, and the script of the button with the
> "offending" command is not available.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I had something similar happen a month or two ago; a stack that had
> started life in HyperCard, been converted to Revolution several years
> ago.  Opened in 3.0, couldn't open any scripts.  But simply "put"ing
> the script of any object delivered the script fine.  So the scripts
> are there (and as you noted you may even be able to run) but something
> fouls up with the script editor so it doesn't open.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't now recall what changed to sort this out.  I
> recall that I did what I immediately needed to do in 2.9 (or was it
> even 2.8?) (where the script editor still worked fine) instead of
> 3.0.   Did simply opening and resaving the stack from 2.8/2.9 fix it
> (it would previously have last been saved from a much earlier version)?

OK I followed your lead... I booted 2.8.1 and opened the hypercard
stack. hurray! scripts are now available.. I went thru most all buttons
that had scripts and hit tab, placed a space somewhere which I though
would force Rev to update it's script "memory" for each object...I also
repaired the buttons with syntax that was not valid current revolution
correct clean code;  then did a Save As, in case possibly save as a new
stack might leave some gremlins behind... Opened in 3.0 -- huh ? Still
cannot edit scripts... interesting... but my repaired buttons were
working now without error msgs..

I tried opening again in 2.8.1, compact stack, save as again, open in
3.0... still no go...

I would call this a bug and the best way to submit it will be with my
original HC stack + the converted version... it's not an emergency so I
think I will let the Rev team deal with it. On the other hand my overall
architecture in those old days was terrible when I was a true newbie...
... each card has his own buttons when it should be a group placed as a
background for each section of the book etc... and common scripts
consolidated to a single handler in the stack script etc... so I will
probably use Jacqueline method -- "put the script of button "recipes"
does give me the script and I can copy these to new buttons and
rebuild. This old B/W stack is scary ugly than a charred California fire
swath.. so cleaning it up will be a good thing to do...

Put the script of btn "remedies"

-->

on mouseUp
  go to bkgnd "Remedies"