Converting Hypercard Stack -- No Scripts?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Wed Nov 19 16:37:04 EST 2008

Sivakatirswami wrote:

 > I just opened the HC stack in Revolution and viola it appears. But I'm
getting some strange behaviors that I don't know how to solve.

 > No script editor is invoked, and the script of the button with the
"offending" command is not available.

 > Any ideas?

I had something similar happen a month or two ago; a stack that had started
life in HyperCard, been converted to Revolution several years ago.  Opened in
3.0, couldn't open any scripts.  But simply "put"ing the script of any object
delivered the script fine.  So the scripts are there (and as you noted you may
even be able to run) but something fouls up with the script editor so it
doesn't open.

Unfortunately, I can't now recall what changed to sort this out.  I recall
that I did what I immediately needed to do in 2.9 (or was it even 2.8?) (where
the script editor still worked fine) instead of 3.0.   Did simply opening and
resaving the stack from 2.8/2.9 fix it (it would previously have last been
saved from a much earlier version)?  Or was it a change I made in the scripts
- eg I recall that the scripts used the 'byte' as a variable, which of course
in 3.0 became a reserved word.

Sorry - this was one of those times where I was under too much pressure to be
able to put any time into figuring out what was going on, I just needed to
find a workaround and get on with my work.  But if you're seeing it too,
there's evidently a problem that's been introduced, and it would be good to
track it down.

- Ben