Random algorithm

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Wed Nov 12 17:06:24 EST 2008

It depends of what you use to reset the randomSeed.  Some papers
(reference burried to deep in my memory to be retrieved) suggest to
generate an array of random numbers at start, and then to reset the
seed each time it's needed with one of these elements, the index being
randomly choosen. And the first x random numbers you draw are used to
replace the array for the next time...
But that is only a sophisticated kind of reshuffling.
I just looked at the Web of Science for "Random number generator":
1252 papers. I do not think there is ONE obvious solution...

Jacques

Le 12 nov. 2008 à 22:30, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Jan Schenkel wrote:
>
>> --- Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>>> mentioned.
>>> Me too.  Wouldn't it suffice to do this before each
>>> run?:
>>>   set the randomSeed to random(4570422)
>> In theory, that could result in the same series of
>> random numbers multiple times, as the first random may
>> start with the same randomseed as another, thus
>> resulting in the same random first number, and thus
>> the same second number and so forth.
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm missing something that will make the dim light
> in my head brighter.
>
> It would seem that resetting the randomSeed each time you use the
> random function would only have a 1-in-4,570,422 chance of getting
> the same seed as the previous run, no?
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Managing Editor, revJournal