different stack locations, different (or no) responses?

Friedrich F. Grohmann shedrup at ms9.hinet.net
Sun Nov 9 08:38:11 EST 2008

My setup is PowerPC G 4 under Mac OS X 10.4.11.

I am very much confused by the behaviour of a stack which was created
(with Revolution 3.0.0) by cloning another stack (which had been
developed under 2.9.0 or an earlier version, don't remember that
detail). The new stack has been renamed, the scripts have been
updated, the outlay remodelled.

Now, as long as this stack is positioned directly on the desktop,
everything works fine. The moment I move it into the folder in which
I want to have it troubles start, no matter whether this folder is
somewhere in the "Documents" folder or still on the desktop.

Let's say Revolution is running and I proceed through the "open" menu
to open the stack. It opens, though the position is not the one
specified by the preOpenStack script. Moreover:

the first card shows but the relevant field tells me "card 2 of ...";

the "Window" menu is greyed out and says "no windows open";

the whole "Object" menu is greyed out;

in "Run" mode, clicking on buttons doesn't evoke any response;

in "Edit" mode the group on the card is selected by clicking on it
but I can't proceed from that (e.g. edit the group);

the stack cannot be closed and I have to quit the application to get
rid of it;

the Application Browser shows the stack and I can move to different
cards via the browser (with each card showing "card 2 of ..." and the
same cd ID) but only in edit mode.

This is weird enough but in case Rev is not yet running and I start
by clicking on the stack the scenario differs. The position and the
card number are still wrong but what differs now is that

the "Window" menu is not greyed out and says "Untitled 1" instead of
showing the proper name of the stack;

the "Object" menu seems to work but when I select the "stack
inspector" the clock appears and tells me to wait;

I can close the stack.

The rest, no response to clicking buttons etc., is the same as in
case one. So what does this mean? I've saved another copy of the
stack to another location and removed the whole stack script (which
is basic enough) to see whether this bizarre behaviour may be
remedied thereby yet nothing works.

Of course, I can keep the stack on my desktop and continue to work
with it there but this is not the place it is supposed to occupy. Any
suggestions more than welcome.

All the best,
Fritz