Good example/tutor for Valentina. Reports

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri May 30 02:02:30 EDT 2008

On 5/29/08 8:28 PM, "william humphrey" <shoreagent at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi William,

> My second issue is that the PDF instructions are not included in the
> excellent RunRev stack which shows how to use all the different "v" database
> calls. So I just played around blind without reading about it first (which
> is usually what I do anyway...)

> Ruslan: Please don't worry about teaching people SQL. You can even put links
> to resources for that. Just make the install process easier and then make
> the how to use Valentina with RunRev instructions right there in the same
> folder as the example stack.

You mean that PDF must be included into folder V4REV_3 ?
What about just adding URL to V4REV DOCS page ?

Many years ago we did keep docs in such way, but then it made more hard
update docs. So we have extract docs to be online and ready for download.

> I also think that an example RunRev stack accessing a fairly complex
> database done by someone who knows Valentina would be pretty cool to have
> for copying from. That is what I really want!  It could have a couple of
> different search features and some report features. Perhaps even an example
> of how your new reports are integrated with RunRev.

And now you asking very complex example? :-)

Please check test.rev stack. It contains practically all Valentina methods
that exist. So you can find usage of it.

But in general work with SQL looks as

put Valentina_SqlSelect( dbRef, "SELECT * FROM T WHERE fld1 > 15" ) into
cursRef

So nothing special actually. And see my next letter also.

About REPORTS.
I think this information can be public already.

We are finishing big new feature for Valentina.

* Valentina Studio PRO -- have project concept and visual designer of
reports similar you what you could see in FileMaker or MS Access.

* then we will be able do in revolution and other languages that Valentina
supports something as

        pdfFile = get_report( proj, repName, SQLquery )

* the same reports will work under Valentina Server also of course.
    and of course all this will be cross-platform.

What is great with this feature, is we extract HUGE part of development from
coding to VISUAL. Also we get ability change a report WHEN application is
compiled because report is separated from application itself.

If you want participate in beta testing of Valentina Reports please let me
know.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin