Is RR too easy? Or too hard? (was) Is RunRev marketed to developers mainly?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri May 30 01:23:25 EDT 2008

On 5/29/08 7:34 PM, "marty" <marty at ucls.uchicago.edu> wrote:

Hi Marty,

> Is it true that most programmers say that hypercard isn't
> programming?  Do they say that about RR?  I'm running into that issue
> a little bit.
>
> Some of my students (8th grade and up) think that RR is not a "real"
> programming language.  Why?  It's too easy!  They have the notion --
> shared by a good portion of the general public -- that programming is
> incredibly difficult to do, hard to learn, and mastered only by
> geeks.  Thus, since making things (even executables) using RR is so
> easy, it must not be programming.  This viewpoint is especially
> expressed by students who have dabbled in other languages, like java.
>
> On the other side of the aisle, I'd like to begin urging other
> teachers to begin making their own software to use with their
> classes.  But they think it's too hard!  (Granted, most of them
> haven't really tried it -- they hear words like "programming" or
> "writing software" and shy away.)

I self teach students-programmers sometimes more than 10 years,

And I can say that good programmer student must learn at least on overview
level this programming languages and concepts to get more or less complete
picture of the world

* PROCEDUREAL               better C

* OO                        C++, JS, Java, ObjC

* LOGICAL/DECLARATIVE       Prolog/Lisp

* DB/DECLARTIVE             SQL

* SCRIPTING lang            PHP/Rev

* EXOTIC                    python, Ruby

----
About Revolution lang.

>From my talks with Mark, I have catch main point of REVOLUTION product.

Ask your students:

    how will look programming lang of far future?
    what is IDEAL language ?

After pause, answer self -- ideal the most cool programming language for us
is HUMAN language.

Revolution is on this way. C++ and Java are not :-)

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology