Is RR too easy? Or too hard? (was) Is RunRev marketed to developers mainly?

Noel noelf at nomigraphics.com
Thu May 29 13:27:29 EDT 2008

You are going to find all sorts of prejudices in the programming
world about "ease of use".  Easier it is to use, the less they want
to give it credit.

Now you do have to see one thing from their viewpoint.  You spend
years learning how to use c++, you are finally at a point where you
can do a decent program.  Along comes someone who has been using RR
for a month or two, and makes a very similar program to what you can do.

The c++ isn't going to be impressed, they have to justify all the
time and money they spent on learning their language.  If they can't,
why did they do it all in the first place.  So they aren't going to
embrace something like RR.

Also consider the consultant that has to charge 10 times as much as a
RR developer to make a custom program because it honestly takes that
much longer in other languages.  Are they going to tell a client that
they are using a slower development system?  No.  They are going to
tell people that there must be some kind of shortcoming in the RR
system, otherwise it would take so much longer to do real programming.

I saw this same type of battle ongoing with the DOS vs. Windows
people.  I couldn't believe how many DOS users wouldn't use Windows
development tools, because "they had always done it that way"
before.  Guess what?  Most of them are out of business.

Computer programming is a fluid situation.  There is a momentum that
must be hit for a language to be "accepted" within the old school
programming community.  And frankly I don't ever see RR hitting those
folks.  Which is ok with me, lets move forward instead of trying to
convert a bunch of "old ways are best" programmers.

In the end, whatever tool you use to accomplish the task at hand is
the one you want to use.  I just think if you can do it in a much
simpler and faster fashion, that it is just that much more fun :)

  - Noel