Is RunRev marketed to developers mainly?

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Wed May 28 18:23:21 EDT 2008

> I just wrote a fairly long rant about the USER space on
> RunRev (and the lack of good example stacks for database use
> with RunRev) and it got me to thinking. How do you think the
> market for RunRev is defined? Is it 95% developers and 5%
> hobbyists? Does it have to be that way because anything
> powerful enough for developers must have a dash of "difficulty of use"
> or developers won't use it?
> Or is the amateur hobbyist market so small that it should
> just be ignored?
> If that is so it would explain lots of things about RunRev
> and Valentina.

I think you'll find the a big difference between target customers, with an
overlap in the general business and database development markets.

One of the things that defines Revolution vs many other RAD tools is that
its accessible without having to internalize a lot of "traditional"
programming paradigms. This may make it seem like its often targeted at
hobbyists, but it really is targeted at "professionals that do not
necessarily want to be programmers". The wonderful thing of course is that
those who DO invest more time can do some amazing things.

On the other hand - the current customer base of Valentina is made up of
database developers - the sort for whom performance is really essential.
Valentina is accessible through the Revolution IDE but its utilized by a
customer market that also includes developers that use VB, C++, Director,
Delphi, PHP, Cocoa framework (Mac), Ruby/Ruby on Rails and more. Valentina
has its own internal, advanced model and has a number of features that are
unusual even in the db market. I think you'll find that combined with
Valentina Reports and the new and improved Valentina Studio Pro we will be
showing soon, much complexity will be ironed out in both setting up and
presentation of data.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Mirye Software Publishing