good Rev demos

william humphrey shoreagent at gmail.com
Wed May 28 16:47:32 EDT 2008

The subject line is "good rev demos" so since I have been searching for good
demos of Valentina used with runrev I thought I would include my rant here.
There are excellent demos of RunRev with SQLite and Sarah's site has
excellent demos of RunRev with MySQL and XML.
Trevor's libdatabase library has an excellent demo in it which can easily be
used for SQLite and for MySQL and which also can be used for Valentina.

But none of these demos can be uploaded to the user space on RunRev because
I don't see how you can upload a stack and the included database files and
the instruction text.

I am gradually figuring out Valentina (I normally use SQLite) and I believe
that there is no simple explanation to setting Valentina up with RunRev. The
example stack that downloads with the install is missing the two instruction
PDF files and the stack itself appears to have a bunch of new "v" this "v"
that database commands instead of just using the ones that already are in
RunRev. It is very confusing and after I figure it out I would like to
upload a simple example but I don't want to do it the way everyone else does
with a dedicated website. I think all these examples should be on the RunRev
site in the user space so we need two things

1. A way to search what is there already (I'm so sick of scrolling through
cryptic file names).

2. A field that comes up with a description of the file when you mouse over
it (I am so sick of trying stacks when I don't understand the cryptic name
especially those stacks that bring down my copy of RunRev). And what is the
difference between "view" and "go to"?

3. A way to include all the files necessary for the stacks.

4. Some more categories like maybe "database examples" but of course you
can't have those because there is no way to include the database with the
stack.

As it stands right now I recommend SQLite and Trevor's libdatabase library
for anyone who is not a programming genius.

I believe that for more complex databases it might be an advantage to use
Valentina. I have been using Valentina's desk top program "Valentina Studio"
for over a year now and it is excellent. I am also very pleased with the
support at the Valentina website except that it seems (and I don't know if
this is my imagination) that support is geared for developers.