PAYPAL [was] [ANN] The reason why I was so quiet recently.

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue May 20 23:09:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:21 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> Email addresses used with other vendors are a different story.   Oh the
> spam I get from an address I've only used with JetBlue, and as much as I
> like their flights I must say I've found it disturbing that I've been unable
> to find anyone in that company willing to investigate the source of the
> privacy leak.

For this very reason I set up a specific account to receive the avalanche of
spam/junk/phishing mail I expected to receive from 'dubious' commercial
enterprises that wanted an e-mail address but I really didn't feel
comfortable about giving my 'real' e-mail address. Hire car, airlines,
hotels, warranty/registration for hardware/software, etc etc the list goes
on and on. As a joke the e-mail address looks like this
[XXXword][dot]junkmail[at]gmail.com

I've had the address over 2 years, used it hundreds of times and to date
never received a single spam/junk/phish mail.

I visit it every month or so, and all that's ever there is an electronic
receipt for a car used, or acknowledgment of product registration - all just
valid e-mails:-)

At first I figured that gmail was just very good at filtering spam, and it
is, but my other accounts do receive a trickle of junkmail. So I've since
figured that the automated software that spammers use to generate their
'products' naturally avoid XXX words, the words spam, junkmail, phishing or
anything else that is likely to trigger spam filters. As such, my address is
automatically avoided ;-)

I may be wrong, but you may want to try setting up a similar worded e-mail
address and see if it works for you.