PAYPAL [was] [ANN] The reason why I was so quiet recently.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 19 13:21:44 EDT 2008

Ben Rubinstein wrote:
> But I do get a ton of PayPal phishing spam (7-10/day that gets past my spam
> filters) and find it very convenient to know without looking that any message
> about my PayPal account is spam.  I think that's a positive reason to avoid
> setting up a PayPal account.

There is no relationship between having a PayPal account and receiving
phishing attempts via email.  I get phishing emails from faux PayPal
sites to email addresses I've never used.  Those are sent to a wide
variety of addresses from both known and random lists, and I've seen no
pattern which ties them to PayPal accounts in any way.

Email addresses used with other vendors are a different story.   Oh the
spam I get from an address I've only used with JetBlue, and as much as I
like their flights I must say I've found it disturbing that I've been
unable to find anyone in that company willing to investigate the source
of the privacy leak.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal