RevCon kudos

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 16 17:23:13 EDT 2008

Colin Holgate wrote:
> Happy for you all to see the kudos flying around. Out of curiosity, how
> did the "learn programming in a day" attendees get on?

Well, as Devin said, it was really tough. Skill levels were all over the
map and we even had some people attending who probably should have been
up on the podium with us instead of in the audience. We sent those folks
with specific, more advanced questions out to the code kitchen for a
while when we were teaching the very basic stuff. They could get
advanced tutoring there.

I had three or four newcomers -- who had only launched Rev for the first
time that morning -- come up to me with glowing praise for the sessions.
All of them were hooked and convinced that Rev would meet their needs. A
couple of them had previous programming experience in other languages
and were absolutely stunned at the simplicity of Rev. One said, "With
variables, you just put something into something else -- how elegant!"
They were there for various reasons, but they all seemed quite
satisfied. One man said that he was lost at first but as the day went on
he had a "eureka!" moment and it all started to fall into place.

There was no way we could cover everything, and in fact, we all had more
material prepared than we had time to present. But I think we gave
enough of an outline that people felt comfortable continuing on their
own. We gave them a CD full of supplemental material to look at.

And I finally got to meet Marian in person, and I apologize again for
slapping her bad leg in a fit of enthusiasm. She's very gracious. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com