OOP in Rev...

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Thu Mar 20 09:24:30 EDT 2008

Viktoras, you can effectively hide the array manipulations in a
library stack. I've done this quite a lot, though haven't really
thought of it as OOP-like, though it produces at least some kind of
'encapsulation'. One could think of the library stack as being the
place where you define 'classes'.

Just off the top of my head, the script of the library 'class' stack
might look like this :

local sCities
local sCityProperties =
"country,continent,population,area,isNationalCapital,hasAirport"

on setCity pCity, pProp, pVal
   if pProp is among the items of sCityProperties then put pVal into
sCities[pCity, pProp]
end setCity

function getCity pCity, pProp
   if pProp is empty then put "all" into pProp

   switch pProp
   case "all"
     return allCityData(pCity)
     break
   case "populationDensity"
     return popDensity(pCity)
     break
   default
    return sCities[pCity, pProp]
    break
   end switch
end getCity

function allCityData pCity
   put the keys of sCities into tKeys
   filter tKeys with pCity & "*"
   repeat for each line L in tKeys
     put item 2 of L & "=" & sCities[L] & cr after tCityData
   end repeat
   put popDensity(pCity) after tCityData
   return tCityData
end allCityData

function popDensity pCity
   return sCities[pCity, population] / sCities[pCity, "area"]
end popDensity

and so-on....

so then in the main app, you'd do things like :

setCity "London", "country", "UK"
setCity "London", "population", 8000000

if getCity("London", "populationDensity") > 34 then....
put getCity("London")

which is sort of equivalent to :
London.population = 8000000
if London.populationDensity > 34 then....

Forgive me if this is all stuff you've already done, but it's
certainly helped me think about it a bit!

Best,

Mark