[OT] A Hardware wish...

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Tue Mar 18 20:24:00 EDT 2008

Hi Alejandro,

A NAS device won't do it - at least not the ones I'm familiar with, but
I haven't looked at them since I bought one a couple of years ago. Maybe
they are smarter now. As you probably know, a NAS is basically a
single-purpose computer that has a big HD, which only knows how to serve
files. They are a great addition to your local network if you don't have
a file server; and mine (and probably any) can also be configured to
back itself up to a USB drive directly connected to it. But that's all
mine knows how to do.

Jim Ault introduced me to StuffIt for automated backups (which I still
don't use effectively, but...) StuffIt lets you schedule automatic,
unattended backups of specific folders to FTP and .mac locations. Would
that do it for you? It would run on your computer at night or whenever
you tell it to.

If you want a separate piece of hardware to do the backup, I suppose you
could put a cheap PC into your network DMZ and copy files to its StuffIt
upload folder before you turn off your computer and go home at night.

HTH -
Phil Davis

--
Phil Davis