Lowering high CPU rates?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 17 01:14:27 EDT 2008

Kee Nethery wrote:
> I found that the throbbing default buttons in Mac OS X would really
> hog the CPU. The screen just sitting there in idle with a throbbing
> button was all it took to use up an amazing amount of CPU. Seems like
> a lame "feature".

While it's true that Apple's compositing wastes a great many clock
cycles for minor incremental aesthetic enhancements, and it's painfully
true that the limitations of their APIs requires developers of tools
like Rev and SC to jump through some pretty big hoops to allow their
developers to have default buttons rendered reliable against even
non-Apple-sanctioned-stripes backgrounds, the actual CPU time Rev takes
up to deal with all of Apple's nonsense was tremendously reduced several
versions ago.

Which version are you using?  In v2.9 and the last few prior, I don't
recall seeing any idle state exceed 15% of total CPU time (more than
ideal, perhaps, but down several times from what it once was and may be
able to be brought down even lower if Apple changes their compositing API).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal