A chunking mystery

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 14 13:08:59 EDT 2008

David Coker wrote:

>>>Have you considered converting to tab-delimited instead of back to CSV?
>
> Hi Richard,
> Yes sir, that is something I have considered for sure and may decide
> to go that route. Since the majority of the data files we use are in
> csv, I just started with that rather than having to open and resave
> each file in Excel prior to processing.
>
> For the version I'm building for my own use here at the office, the
> final data must be in CSV in order to be usable with our business
> system, but the more generic version that I hope to offer to others
> eventually, does already have a final conversion feature to choices of
> csv, tabbed and piped formats.

If memory serves, you can use tab-delimited in all ways you would use
CSV with Excel, even writing a tabbed file and launching Excel with it
to have it interpreted and rendered automatically.

>>>With my WebMerge product I have to handle just about any delimited
> columnar format...
>
> Heh, although I haven't had the need to use it in quite some time, I'm
> actually one of you registered users.
>
> A nice piece of work there! :)

I thought I'd seen your name somewhere else before. :)

Thanks for the generous words.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation