[OT] "They Criticized Vista. And They Should Know."

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Mar 12 22:43:31 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Joe Lewis Wilkins <pepetoo at cox.net> wrote:

> Jim, I love it. Of course, I love all sorts of conspiracy theories -
> even the really stupid ones. After the kinds of things Gates pulled,
> initially, he would have deserved such treatment. (smile)

No arguing Gates has pulled some stunts in the past, but he certainly seems
focused on improving his legacy. Witness his truly philanthropic change of
identiy where through his foundation he's already given close to $2 billion
to schools here in the US. And that doesn't even cover his international
work.

And this quote on art technica comparing him with Jobs.

"Gates is giving away his fortune with the same gusto he spent acquiring it,
throwing billions of dollars at solving global health problems. He has also
spoken out on major policy issues, for example, by opposing proposals to cut
back the inheritance tax.  In contrast, Jobs does not appear on any
charitable contribution lists of note. And Jobs has said nary a word on
behalf of important social issues, reserving his talents of persuasion for
selling Apple products."

Not to mention this interesting article on Jobs vs Gates at wired:
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/commentary/cultofmac/2006/01/70072

Furthermore, after the iPhone proprietary SDK was released, this was found
on the popular Engadget blog:

"Who would of thought that after the 1984 Apple Superbowl commercial, that
Apple would become the big talking head and we'd become the little guy
standing up against Steve's draconian rule."